Study Tips and Advice
What would you like to achieve this year both academically and in your personal life?
The start of the year is the perfect time to reflect and reassess. It is a great time to look back and decide what worked, what didn’t and what new approaches you will try.
A great way to do this is through taking a few minutes to do a SWOT analysis. You can either write your answers down or discuss with someone or just think about your responses.
- What went well for you at school last year?
- What study and time management techniques worked for you?
- What skills do you have that help you to do your best at school?
- What were your greatest challenges in achieving your personal best at school?
- What do you struggle with most as a student?
- What do you need the most help with?
- What one thing could you do differently this year that would most help you to improve your results?
- What skills do you most need to focus on improving this year?
- Who in your life would be able to help you to be a better student?
- What are the biggest obstacles to you making changes in your approach?
- Are there other students you sit with who make learning difficult?
- What is stopping you from achieving the best results you can at school
After you have worked through the SWOT analysis, choose the top five changes you want to make this year and write these down. Put these goals somewhere where you will see them every day before you go to school. If possible also write down some specific actions or steps you could take to achieve these goals. A good way to do this is at the start of each week write down the steps you want to take for that week.
You can learn more about how to be a more effective student at www.studyskillshandbook.com.a. Please contact Mrs Bailey for login information.